Day Two (Friday)
This area gets its name from the Cornish word ‘Ros’ meaning ‘promontory’ – it is separated from the rest of Cornwall by the River Fal.
The day started by crossing the river on the King Harry Ferry (the chain ferry – also known as the floating bridge). The ferry was established in 1888 and links the Roseland peninsular to Truro and Falmouth, avoiding a 27 mile detour. It is one of only five chain ferries in England.
First stop was St Just in Roseland Church - probably Cornwall's most photographed church, and arguably one of its most beautiful. The 13th century Church is built right beside the water on a tidal creek. The churchyard slopes steeply upwards behind the church and contains many tropical plants.
We then headed south to St Anthony’s Head which is at the southernmost tip of the peninsular. We walked a short stretch of the South West Coast Path from St Anthony’s Lighthouse (built in 1835 by the Chief Engineer of Trinity House) to guide shipping away from the Manacles Rocks south of Falmouth Harbour.
There are great views across to Pendennis Castle. Together with St Mawes Castle its companion fort on the opposite east bank, it was built by King Henry VIII between 1539 and 1545 to guard the entrance to River and to defend Carrick Roads from the perceived French and Spanish threat of naval attack.
We walked round to St Anthony-in-Roseland. The church is unusual in that it still has its original medieval cruciform plan, despite being extensively restored in the 19th century.
Lunch was a pasty at the Hidden Hut, a small cafe on the coastal path above Porthcurnick Beach near Portscatho.