A site visit to Worcestershire last week allowed me a little time to drive through a couple of villages near Pershore before stopping in Moreton-in-Marsh. First Fladbury. St John the Baptist, Fladbury : There was a Saxon church in Fladbury but the present church dates predominantly from the 14th century (1340).
The East Window, installed in 1864 is the work of Frederick Preedy an artist who combined the profession of architecture with the design, painting and manufacture of stained glass.
Driving from Fladbury to Cropthorne takes you over the River Avon at the Jubilee Bridge. The bridge was built in 1935 to replace the previous Jubilee Bridge, also called Fladbury Bridge, that was built to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria for her fiftieth year of reign in 1885.
St Michaels Church, Cropthorne - another picture postcard church which dates back to the 12th Century.
Heading south down the A44, past Broadway, up Fish Hill and the next town is Moreton-in-Marsh. This is one of the principal market towns of the northern Cotswolds sited on the historic Fosse Way
Although it looks old, the Redesdale Market Hall is actually Victorian .
It was designed by Sir Ernest George, and built in 1887 from the local honey-coloured limestone. It has four arches which originally formed an arcade, but are now filled in.
A plaque on the side reads "The Redesdale Hall was erected in 1887 by Sir Algernon Bertram Freeman Mitford, G.C.V.O., K.C.B., 1st Baron Redesdale, Lord-of-the-Manor of Moreton-in-Marsh in pious Memory of his kinsman, Earl of Redesdale, 1805-1886".
Lord Redesdale lived at nearby Batsford House and is also known for his famous daughters, the Mitford sisters.
St David's Church - again this looks older than it actually is. The present church was almost completely rebuilt in 1858 although there has been a church here for over 800 years.
The Corn Exchange on the A44 in the centre of the town.
The Curfew Tower is probably the oldest building in the town. The bell in the tower was cast in 1633. The "curfew" after which the tower is named, dates back to Norman times when a bell announced to residents that it was time to "cover fire" for the night.
On the side of the tower is a Toll Notice from 1905 which states "The Undermentioned Tolls Will be charged in the Market Town of Moreton-in-Marsh on all market, fair and other days on and after this date.".