Fudge, Graphite and Granite and Freddie, resident guard alpacas in a field near the church in Plumtree.
...and what are they guarding.... chickens.
Further down in the village there are more chickens in the garden of the Rectory.
The Rectory is a fine Art Deco style building with room for more chickens if need be..
St Mary’s Church was founded around the year 837, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Nothing remains of the earliest church, which was probably built of wood, but the underlying stonework dates from Saxon times. The tower is largely Norman and the rest of the church mostly dates from the fourteenth century, although substantial rebuilding and redecoration was carried out between 1873 and 1875 by the well known Victorian architects G F Bodley and Thomas Garner. Major restoration of the Victorian workmanship was carried out during the 1980s. http://www.plumtreechurch-notts.org/
The organ was built for Plumtree by Wordsworth and Maskell in 1879-80 and was the gift of William Elliott Burnside.The organ case was designed by Canon Frederick Sutton.
The organ is unusual in that it has reverse coloured keys.
Redundant church clock mechanism removwed in 1997 when the clock was converted to electric winding.
View towards the Chancel. the chancel screen was installed in the 1873-75 restoration and reguilded in the 1980's.
On the south wall of the chancel there are three stone sedilia with ogee moulding above.
This view shows the Oak altar table with carved front face. Behind is the Reredos of pine painted with shields showing the instruments of the crucifixion. The east window is in late medieval German idiom. it was commissioned by and commemorates the Burnside family. 1872-3. It is by the firm of Burlison & Grylls, a Victorian stained glass studio working in neo-Gothic style.